This post is also ava Read more [...]
Origen de los fondos: Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Principality of MonacoNombre del cliente: Union for the MediterraneanFechas (inicio/fin): April 2015 – October 2018Nombre de los socios, si procede: MCCE (Morocco), SDEC (Tunisia) the Jordanian Centre for Civic Education, the Adyan Foundation and the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO. Ideaborn FoundationPaíses: Morocco, Tunisia, Jordan and Lebanon
The Forming Responsible Citizens (FRC) project is labeled by the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM)
and financed by the Kingdom of Norway and the Principality of Monaco.
It is led by the Barcelona-based organisation, Ideaborn, in collaboration with the ideaborn Foundation, the Moroccan Center for Civic Education (MCCE), the Tunisian Social Development and Empowerment Center (SDEC), the Jordanian Centre for Civic Education, the Adyan Foundation and the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO.
Country: Tunisia, Morocco, Jordan, Lebanon
Dates (start/end): April 2015, October 2018
Name of Client: Union for the Mediterranean
Financing: Kingdom of Norway- Principality of Monaco
The project aims at empowering secondary education teachers with tools to enhance the knowledge and practice of rights, duties and responsibilities of their students. By doing so, it aims at promoting dialogue as alternative to violence and respect to the difference of gender, religions and thoughts. Special emphasis is put in the role of the school as vector of prevention of intolerance in the all society and of discrimination towards women rights. The context is the Union for the Mediterranean countries. The two first countries have been Tunis and Morocco.
The FRC project aims to achieve the following main objectives:
- To establish schools as a key vehicle to disseminate citizenship and gender equality values through the implementation of a new citizenship education curriculum
- To prevent juvenile violence, especially against girls and women
- To encourage policy makers and legislators to invest more effort in gender equality and prevention of violence through the development of values of equality in our education system.
- Students (secondary school, 10-15 years old).
- The involvement of national education authorities is a key element for its sustainability over time.
- NGOs and CSOs key actors to involves the communities and share responsibilities
- Analysis of documents and textbooks used to teach citizenship education in the two countries: Morocco and Tunisia.
- Design of a new citizenship curriculum, followed by teacher training in citizenship education.
- Facilitate meetings with the community to establish Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) that get parents, educators and administrators to work together
- A new, school curriculum encompassing the concepts of citizenship education, systems and processes of civic life, education for equality, tolerance, coexistence, intercultural dialogue, rights and responsibilities, education for human rights, in addition to inclusive and sustainable development.
- Teacher training in professional development and on the use of the new citizenship materials.
- Roundtable meetings for project transparency and reinforcement of PLCs.
- Providing students with learning experiences that help them acquire these components reflects the key purpose of a good citizenship education.
Type of services provided
Objectives of Citizenship Education
The effort to invested in school is to construct a citizen (man & woman) aware of his/her rights and responsibilities, and ready to practice them towards themselves and the community in which they belong.
Social and civic responsibility: Learning about civic values and responsible behaviour, and developing the ability to apply these in practice both in and outside the formal education setting.
Community involvement: Learning about and becoming active citizens and contributing to community development through community service and involvement.
Political literacy: Learning about how governments and institutions work and understanding the issues of democracy and how to interact with all of these elements
Please, use this link to register for the Newsletter of the project “Forming Responsible Citizens”